UroLift Center of Excellence
What is the UroLift® System?
Treatment with the UroLift® System is typically a one-time, in-office solution that provides rapid relief and recovery for men living with symptoms of an enlarged prostate. It breaks the cycle of medications and how they make a person feel, all without the risks of traditional surgery. The goal of the UroLift® System treatment is to relieve symptoms so you can get back to your life and resume your daily activities.
Most men living with enlarged prostate (BPH) symptoms take prescription medications after they’re diagnosed but these prescriptions often don’t provide adequate relief and may cause dizziness, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. Medications don't need to become a lifelong burden and men don’t need to wait until surgery is required to address the problem. With the UroLift® System treatment, men suffering from BPH symptoms can avoid traditional surgery altogether.
There’s a better option that can help men feel revitalized without having to compromise: The UroLift® System treatment. This is typically a one-time, in-office procedure that is a straightforward solution to treat the blockage, freeing men from ongoing BPH medications with a rapid recovery.
To learn more about the UroLift® System click here.
A Minimally Invasive BPH Treatment
The simple UroLift® System treatment typically performed in the doctor’s office uses tiny implants to hold open the obstructed pathway that’s blocking urine flow, addressing the blockage, not just continuously treating enlarged prostate (BPH) symptoms. Most patients return home immediately and experience a speedy recovery.
Why the UroLift® System?
The UroLift® System provides a proven treatment that can get men off BPH medications which can make a person feel foggy and cause sexual dysfunction. Treatment with the UroLift® System has a risk profile better than surgical procedures that may have serious complications and a long, painful recovery. The treatment may be right for you if any of the following apply:
- You want a BPH solution that preserves your sexual function*
- You tried BPH medication and are unhappy with the side effects
- You want to regain your quality of life with limited downtime
- You do not want to take a pill for BPH
- You do not want to undergo major surgery due to risks of complications and side effects
- You want a minimally invasive treatment that can be performed in your doctor's office
Most Common Side Effects/Complications
- Pain or burning with urination
- Light blood in the urine or pelvic pain
- Difficulty urinating temporarily
- Urgent need to urinate or the inability to control the urge
Most side effects resolve within four weeks after the procedure.
What is an Enlarged Prostate?
Enlarged prostate, or BPH, is a condition in which the prostate enlarges as men age. Most men over 50 years old have BPH. A large prostate can greatly affect a man's quality of life.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms, including:
- Frequent need to urinate, both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- Feeling that you do not completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- Urinary stream that stops and starts
Most men treated for BPH symptoms take prescription medication, although these often don’t provide adequate relief and may cause dizziness, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction.
A wide variety of treatments are available for men with BPH, including medication, minimally invasive therapies, and surgery. Dr. Davenport will consider several factors as you evaluate these choices together.
Dr. Timothy C. Davenport is a board-certified urologist specializing in BPH, urologic cancer, stones, female incontinence, and men’s health issues. He was awarded 2015 Tennessee Doctor of the Year by the Men’s Health Network and has received a 2020 National UroLift® Center of Excellence Award given to physicians who have achieved a higher level of experience and demonstrated superior outcomes with UroLift.